Sunday, April 8, 2007

Pad Ke Mao ... with a twist :)

Ok, so I was craving for my favorite drunken noodles today. So, off I went to PCC to get the makings. But PCC let me down, they had no wide rice noodles. And they do not carry veggie fish sauce either (and no, I have *no* idea how a non-fish fish sauce is made :)). Very disappointing. Oh well, time to improvise. I decided to go ahead with wide egg noodles instead. And I used a red curry paste (*so* spicy!) in combination with soy sauce, vinegar and sweet'n'sour sauce, finally topping it off with some sriracha. Not authentic, nevertheless quite tasty!

Some essentials (however much I want to improvise):
* lime leaves are critical for the flavor
* Canola, peanut or sesame oils seem to work well with thai recipes, but none of the others quite cut it (olive is too weirdly flavorful, safflower is too flat, coconut is too overwhelming)
* Sweet basil adds the punch for Pad Ke Mao, can't quite do without it
* Egg noodles were ok this time around, but I'll never want to substitute my favorite sen yai with anything else again!

*yay*! Another culinary adventure :)

No comments: